Intraventricular Haemorrhage is the most common forms of brain injury in preterm neonates1
, more commonly seen in the smallest and most preterm neonates contributing to mortality, morbidity during the time of stay in hospital. IVH among VLBW is common with the incidence of around 20-25% out of which around 2/3rd
are mild to moderate in severity with [grade 1-2].
Objective: To study the incidence of intraventricular hemorrhage in preterm neonates.
Methods: This is a hospital based, prospective, observational study. Total 100 inborn preterm neonates fulfilling the inclusion criteria were screened for IVH using USG cranium as modality of choice. Results: Distribution of study subjects as per IVH on USG showed 86% of the preterm neonates did not have Intra ventricular hemorrhage while the rest 14% had Intra ventricular Hemorrhage (IVH). Among those 14 neonates who had IVH, 11 neonates (78.6%) had Grade – I IVH and the remaining 21.4% had Grade – II IVH.
Conclusion: On the basis of our present study the prevalence of IVH among preterm neonates in the present study was high (14%). Majority of them had grade I IVH. It was particularly high among those of gestational age ≥ 30 weeks. Apnea has a significant association with presence of IVH.