International Journal of Paediatrics and Geriatrics

International Journal of Paediatrics and Geriatrics

Journal is inviting manuscripts for its coming issue. Contact us for more details.

International Journal of Paediatrics and Geriatrics

2020, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Part B

Clinical profile and outcome of mechanically ventilated children in pediatric intensive care unit at a tertiary care hospital
Author(s)
Dr. N Sathyadith, Dr. M Sucindar and Dr. S Ramesh
Abstract
Background: Mechanical ventilation refers to artificial methods used for supporting ventilation and oxygenation. With the advent of mechanical ventilation, the intensive care for pediatric patients have witnessed high success rates, better management of complications and improved outcomes with reduced mortality and morbidity rates. This study was done to assess the preceding risk factors, indication, clinical profile and outcome of mechanically ventilated children from rural population admitted in a tertiary care hospital.
Methods: Prospective observational study of critically ill cchildren between 2 months and 12 years of age who required mechanical ventilation in Pediatric Intensive Care Unit of a tertiary care hospital. The data collected includes epidemiological profile, risk factors, clinical, laboratory and mechanical ventilation profile.
Results: A total of 70 children required mechanical ventilation .The mean ± SD age of the participants was 2.05 ±2.4 years. Bronchopneumonia was the most common diagnosis (n=20, 28.6%) and the most common indication for mechanical ventilation among the study participants was severe respiratory distress (n=23, 32.9%).The most common complication observed among the study participants was Ventilator associated pneumonia (n=21, 30%). Overall, majority of the participants survived (n=44, 62.9%) while 26 (37.1%) participants expired in this study.
Conclusion: Majority of the children were less than 1 year of age from poor socio economic status. Respiratory causes like bronchopneumonia and bronchiolitis were the common conditions requiring mechanical ventilation. More analytical studies are needed in future, to estimate the long term sequelae and outcome in mechanically ventilated children.
Pages: 97-103 | Views: 7 | Downloads: 4
How to cite this article:
Dr. N Sathyadith, Dr. M Sucindar, Dr. S Ramesh. Clinical profile and outcome of mechanically ventilated children in pediatric intensive care unit at a tertiary care hospital. Int J Paediatrics Geriatrics 2020;3(2):97-103. DOI: 10.33545/26643685.2020.v3.i2b.103
International Journal of Paediatrics and Geriatrics